Apologies, but no results were found.
Faculty of ManagementOther Titles: Principal’s Research Chair (Tier 2) in Social Innovation for Health Equity and Food Security
Office: EME 4125
Graduate student supervisor
Consumer culture; Social Innovation and social enterprise, Healthy living and well-being; Food consumption and food security; Digital economy, Internet of Things (IoT) and Internet of People (IoP); Social media marketing and consumption, Ethical consumerism and prosocial behaviour, Corporate philanthropy, Fashion marketing and consumption.
Courses & Teaching
MGMT220/320 Introduction to Marketing (undergraduate-level)
MGMT441 Marketing Strategy (undergraduate-level)
MGMT444 Marketing Research (undergraduate-level)
MGMT495 Directed Studies on Fashion Advertising (2012), Digital Consumption and Marketing (2013), Fashion and Cultural Heritage (2014), Family Identity and Consumption (2018)
MGMT536B – Enterprise and Innovation (Marketing module)
MGMT541 – Applied Research Methods
MGMT544A – Applied Project
IGS515 Qualitative Methods for Management Research (graduate-level)
IGS520A Special Topics on Digital Marketing and Consumption (graduate-level)
IGS524 Applied Research Methods (graduate-level)
Dr. Eric Li joined the Faculty of Management at the University of British Columbia – Okanagan campus in 2011. His Ph.D. in Marketing is from York University, and he received his M.A. in Anthropology from the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Dr. Li’s research interests include social enterprise and social innovation, not-for-profit marketing, pro-social behaviour, multicultural marketing and consumption, consumer well-being, health promotion, consumer privacy, food economy and market system, fashion and popular culture, and digital marketing and social media marketing.
His work has been published and presented in a number of academic journals and conferences such as the Association for Consumer Research, the American Marketing Association, Academy of Management Conference, and the Consumer Culture Theory Conference. Eric also served as a reviewer in many academic journals and conferences such as Journal of Business Research, Consumption Markets and Culture, Marketing Letters, International Marketing Research, Journal of Business Ethics, Canadian Journal of Administrative Science and Journal of Interactive Advertising as well as at the Association of Consumer Research, American Marketing Association, Consumer Culture Theory, and Global Marketing conferences. In 2013, he served as the track-chair of the China Marketing International Conference. In 2017, Dr. Li started serving on the Editorial Board of the Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences.
In 2016, Dr. Li received $64,484 from the Social Science and Humanities Research Council’s Insight Development Grant (IDG) to support his research project “Engaging Stakeholders in Co-Creating a Sustainable Community: A Study of Rural Communities in B.C. Interior.” Dr. Li also received funding from the Mitacs Accelerate Program to support six graduate student internships in the past four years. In 2018, Dr. Li has received another Social Science and Humanities Research Council funding ($21,325) through the Partnership Engage Grant program to support his new initiative, Smart Donate that address food insecurity in communities. Dr. Li also received funding from the Mitacs Accelerate Program to support one post-doc fellow and six graduate student internships in the past six years. In addition to these research programs, Dr. Li also part of a number of multi-disciplinary research projects supported by the tri-council agencies (Canadian Institute of Health Research, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council, and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council) and other funding agencies nationally and internationally.
Dr. Li teaches Qualitative Methods in Management Research (graduate-level), Digital Marketing and Consumption (graduate-level), Marketing Strategy (undergraduate-level), Marketing Research (undergraduate-level), and Introduction to Marketing (undergraduate-level) at the University of British Columbia. He also developed directed studies courses on fashion advertising, fashion, design and culture with senior marketing students in the past years. He was on the University of British Columbia – Okanagan’s Teaching Honour Roll in the 2012-2013 academic year. He was the member of the Scholarships and Awards Committee of the Faculty of Graduate Studies between 2015 and 2017. He is also one of the faculty advisors for the campus-wide co-op program at the UBC’s Okanagan campus since 2018. Dr. Li is currently a member of Blockchain@UBC – a collaborative research cluster focusing on Blockchain Technology, the associate member of UBC’s Institute for Healthy Living and Chronic Disease Prevention, the member of the Nature Gas Futures cluster under the UBC Clean Energy Research Centre, and the faculty associate at the York Centre for Asian Research. In 2018, Dr. Li was named the Top 40 Under 40 in Kelowna.
In addition to his research and teaching, Dr. Li also serves as the regular board member of the Behavioural Research Ethics Board of UBC’s Okanagan campus and the Scholarships and Awards Committee of the Faculty of Graduate Studies since 2015. He is also one of the faculty advisors for the campus-wide co-op program at the UBC’s Okanagan campus. Dr. Li is currently a member of Blockchain@UBC – a collaborative research cluster focusing on Blockchain Technology, the associate member of UBC’s Institute for Healthy Living and Chronic Disease Prevention, and the faculty associate at the York Centre for Asian Research.
PhD., Schulich School of Business, York University, 2012
MA, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2003
BA, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 2002
Research Interests & Projects
My research interests include global consumer culture, multicultural marketing and consumption, consumer health and well-being, consumer privacy, visual consumption, food consumption, and digital marketing and consumption, rural health promotion, urban and rural markets, family consumption and identity, and not-for-profit marketing. In the past years, I have been exploring different approaches to integrate my research projects into my teaching portfolio. I developed several partnership projects with several community organizations who had participated in the Healthy Living project, a community-based experiential learning project that I developed for my marketing students. I believe that this is the most effective way for academic scholars to develop their scholarly contributions to the university and the academic community. During my time at UBCO, I have consistently worked on four main research programs:
- Community Building and Health Promotion: Since 2014, I have developed a new research program focused on community building and health promotion. My interest in this area grew out of both the Faculty and the University’s emphasis on regional socio-economic development, and it has allowed me to unite my expertise in consumer culture and stakeholder engagement with my teaching focus on experiential learning for marketing students. My participation as a member of two multi-disciplinary research teams that addressed local students’ well-being and happiness (the Wall-of-Wellbeing project) and explored future growth strategies in Kelowna (led by Drs. Keith Culver and Rehan Sadiq at UBCO) were the impetus for this program. In 2016, I received the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Insight Development Grant (IDG) to support my research on rural community development (or Project R). In 2017, I secured funding from the Mitacs Accelerate program and the Regional Socio-Economic Development Institute of Canada (RSEDIC) to support a spin-off project that focuses on examining Revelstoke’s food economy. In 2018, I received the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Partnership Engage Grant (PEG) to support the implementation of the new food donation campaign (“Smart Donate”) with the Salvation Army Penticton Food Bank and other food bank operators in the Okanagan region. In 2020, I received the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Insight Grant to support the cross-cultural on strategic corporate philanthropy. On top of these studies, I also work with colleagues (faculty members and graduate students) from other disciplines such as Creative Writing, Geography, Engineering, Economics, Management, Nursing, Political Sciences, Psychology, and Social Work to explore a variety of regional-focused topics ranging from rural health promotion, food security and precision agriculture, public policy, affordability housing, homelessness, urban densification, government decision-making strategies, and community building.
- Digital Economy, Data Management, and Consuming Technologies: I have increasingly become involved in a number of multi-disciplinary research projects on data management, risk assessments, valuation, machine learning, Internet of Things (IoTs), and the future of Blockchain with my colleagues in the School of Engineering (Drs. Zheng Liu and Chen Feng) as well as a number of partner organizations in the Okanagan region (e.g., DataNerds). We have successfully secured two Mitacs internships to support graduate student training. We are expecting to extend our projects with more industry partners and researchers within and outside the region. I am currently affiliated to the Blockchain@UBC research cluster, based on the Vancouver campus. In 2018, my research teams received funding from the NSERC-CRD program (with Drs. Kasun Hewage (PI) and Rehan Sadiq) and from Monash University (led by Dr. Ranjith Pathegama) to support the multi-disciplinary research projects on the development of low carbon heating with natural gas and the development for a joint-university virtual hub for geothermal energy.
- Design, Fashion, and Consumer Culture: In the past five years, I have been collaborating with colleagues in Hong Kong (Drs. Wing-sun Liu and Magnum Lam) and Canada (Dr. Ajnesh Prasad) as well as with my current and former UBCO students (Fiona Li, Vishsta Yuan, and Yunji Im) on several fashion or lifestyle-related projects ranging from the examination of counterfeit consumption, the negotiation of gay identity through fashion and popular culture in Hong Kong, to an investigation of the construction of modern girls archetypes through fashion advertising. We are also examining the latest developments in youth culture and online communities in China. Our next set of projects will focus on the impact of market-socialism on consumer empowerment, creativity, design education, the consumer and the community, well-being, ethical consumerism, and corporate social responsibly as well as explore new methodological approaches to capture consumers’ preferences and examine the impact of design and fashion on market dynamics. In 2020, my Master’s student, Ariele Parker received funding through the Mitacs Accelerate program (partnered with the Okanagan Lifestyle, a Kelowna-based sustainable apparel business) to examine the future development of sustainable fashion and products in the post-pandemic era.
- Critical Consumer Culture: I have developed a series of research projects that critically examine some controversial market practices and consumer culture. For example, my work with Dr. Russell Belk (York University) focused on examining market-constructed disciplines and standards (consumer discipline) as well as the development of beauty standard (skin-colour project) and multicultural marketplace My ongoing projects with Dr. Ajnesh Prasad (Royal Road University), Dr. Thuc-Doan Nguyen (Woodbury University), Dr. Xin Zhou (Lancaster University), Dr. Christina Wong (Hong Kong Polytechnic University), and Dr. Magnum Lam (Hong Kong Polytechnic University) focus on examining how new digital behaviours (e.g., social networking sites, online activism, and “selfies”) affect the definition of (consumer) privacy, the spreadability of political claims of refugees, and brand promotion strategies. I am also working with a promising undergraduate researcher, Mr. Patience Spinoza Okuku, on a research project examining the material and non-material ties among families. I am planning to further this research program by exploring the intersections of multiculturalism, materiality, well-being, and market dynamics.
Selected Publications & Presentations
- Lam, Magnum M.-L., Eric P. H. Li, and Wing-sun Liu (2021). Dissociative Consumer Acculturative Forces through Fashion Practices: An Exploratory Study of Youth Consumers in Urban Guangzhou, China. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, forthcoming.
- Eric P. H. Li, Hyun Jeong Min, and Somin Lee (2021), “Soft Power and Nation Rebranding: The Transformation of Korean National Identity through Cosmetic Surgery Tourism,” International Marketing Review, 38(1), 141-162.
- Pokhrel, Sarin R., Kasun Hewage, Gyan Chhipi-Shrestha, Hirushie Karunathilake, Eric P. H. Li, and Rehan Sadiq (2021). Carbon capturing for emissions reduction at building level: A market assessment from a building management perspective. Journal of Cleaner Production, 294, 126323.
- Heidari, Mohammad Davoud, Suryo Gandasamita, Nathan Pelletier, and Eric Li (2021). Proposing a Framework for Sustainable Feed Formulation for Laying Hens: A Systematic Review of Recent Developments and Future Directions. Journal of Cleaner Production, 288, 125585.
- Tai, Daria, Eric Li, Teresa Liu-Ambrose, Nick Bansback, Mohsen Sadatsafavi, and Jennifer Davis (2020), “Patient-Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs) to Support Adherence to Falls Prevention Clinic Recommendations: A Qualitative Study,” Patient Preference and Adherence, 2020(14), 2105-2121.
- Liu, Wing-Sun., Eric P. H. Li, and Magnum Lam (2020), “Double “In-Process” Identity Project: An Ethno-semiotic Study of the Transformation of New Chinese Young Consumers in Shanghai,” Fashion, Style & Popular Culture.
- Bin, Junchi, Bryan Gardiner, Eric P. H. Li, and Zheng Liu (2020), “Multi-Source Urban Data Fusion for Property Value Assessment: A Case Study in Philadelphia,” Neurocomputing, 404(3), 70-83.
- Lam, Magnum, Eric P. H. Li, Wing-sun Liu, and Elita Yee-Nee Lam (2020), “Introducing Participatory Action Research to Vocational Fashion Education: Theories, Practices, and Implications,” Journal of Vocational Education & Training.
- Chen, Roger Rongxin, Liang Wang, Eric P. H. Li, and Guodong Wu (2020), “Microdivisionalization as a Way toward Dynamic Capability,” Management Decision.
- Arulnathan, Vivek, Mohammad D Heidari, Maurice Doyon, Eric P. H. Li, and Nathan Pelletier (2020), “Farm-level decision support tools: A review of methodological choices and their consistency with principles of sustainability assessment,” Journal of Cleaner Production, 256, 120410.
- Shi, Fang, Xiang Peng, Zheng Liu, Eric P. H. Li, and Yafei Hu (2020), “A Data-Driven Approach for Pipe Deformation Prediction Based on Soil Properties and Weather Conditions,” Sustainable Cities and Society, 55, 102012.
- Bin, Junchi, Bryan Gardiner, Zheng Liu, and Eric P. H. Li, (2019), “Attention-based multi-model fusion for improved real estate appraisal: a case study in Los Angeles,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, 78, 31163-31184.
- Bin, Junchi, Bryan Gardiner, Eric P. H. Li, and Zheng Liu (2019), “Peer-Dependence Valuation Model for Real Estate Appraisal,” Data-Enabled Discovery and Applications, 3(2) (published online in January 2019).
- Li, Eric P. H., Ajnesh Prasad, Cristalle Smith, Emily Lewis, Ana Gutierrez, and Betty Brown (2019), “Visualizing Community Pride: Engaging Community through Photo/Video-Voice Campaigns,” Qualitative Research in Organizations and Management, 14(4), 377-392.
- Shi, Fang, Yihao Liu, Zheng Liu, and Eric P. H. Li (2018), “Prediction of Pipe Performance with Staking Ensemble Learning based Approaches,” Journal of Intelligent & Fuzzy Systems, 34, 3845-3855.
- Li, Eric P. H., Fiona Li, Xin Zhao, Magnum Lam, and Wing-sun Liu (2018), “The Production of Modern Girl Archetypes in Luxury Fashion Advertisements in Contemporary China,” Fashion, Style and Popular Culture, 5(2), 201-220.
- Li, Eric P. H. and Ajnesh Prasad (2018), “From Wall 1.0 and Wall 2.0: Graffiti, Social Media, and Ideological Acts of Resistance and Recognition among Palestinian Refugees,” American Behavioral Scientist 62(4), 493-511.
- Li, Eric P. H., Magnum Lam, and Wing-sun Liu (2018), “Consuming Counterfeit: A Study of Consumer Moralism in China,” International Journal of Consumer Studies 42(3), 367-377.
- Wang, Liang, Eric P. H. Li, and Sara Xiaoya Ding (2018), “Does Deliberate Learning Lead to Dynamic Capability? The Role of Organizational Schema for Kodak, 1993-2011,” Journal of Strategy and Management, 11(1), 52-80.
- Holder, Mark D., Holli-Ann Passmore, Catherine Broom, Stephen Berg, Eric P. H. Li, Ross Hickey, and Christopher Martin (2016), “Walls of Well-Being (WOWs): A Pilot Study of a New Methodology to Explore Children’s and Adolescents’ Perceived Sources of Happiness,” International Journal of Applied Positive Psychology, 1(1-3), 91-106.
- Doberstein, Carey, Ross Hickey, and Eric P. H. Li (2016), “Nudging NIMBY: Do positive messages regarding the benefits of increased housing density influence resident stated housing development preferences?” Land Use Policy, 54, 276-289.
- Li, Eric P.H. (2015), “Social Media: A Critical Introduction,” Consumption, Markets and Culture, 19(3), 315-317.
- Joy, Annamma, and Eric P. H. Li (2012), “Studying Consumption Behaviour through Multiple Lenses: An Overview of Consumer Culture Theory,” Journal of Business Anthropology, 1 (Spring), 141-173.
- Belk, Russell W., Joon Yong Seo, and Eric P. H. Li (2007), “Dirty Little Secret: Home Chaos and Professional Organizers,” Consumption, Markets and Culture, 10(2), 133-140.
- Li, Eric P. H., Chester, K. M. To, Y. H. Wong, and Jimmy, M. T. Chang (2006), “Managing Knowledge in Fashion Businesses: A Survey of Contemporary Tools for Coordination and Collaboration,” Research Journal of Textile and Apparel, 10(2), 83-92.
- Li, Eric P. H., Chester K. M. To, Y. H. Wong, and Jimmy M. T. Chang (2005), “Managing Knowledge in Fashion Businesses: A Contextual Review,” Research Journal of Textile and Apparel, 9(2), 97-104.
Conference Presentations (* – presenters)
- *Parker, Ariele and Eric Li (2021). Sustainable Fashion: A Systematic Review. The American Marketing Association Winter Conference 2021.
- *Tao, Sophia H. and Eric Li (2021). Re-Made Authenticity – The Rise of Li Ziqi as Cultural Successor. The American Marketing Association Winter Conference 2021.
- *Sood, Vinil, Amir Ardestani-Jaafari, and Eric Li (2020). Food Waste Management: A Systematic Review. 2020 INFORMS Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., United States, November 08-13.
- *Li, Eric. and *Russell W. Belk (2020). Consuming Order & Discipline. Association for Consumer Research Annual Conference, Paris, France, October 1-4.
- *Rhee, Jooyeon, *Eric Li, *Chikako Nagayama, and *Yuko Minowa (2020). Exploring the Intersections of Gender and Food in East Asia: From Material Culture to Symbolic Practices (Roundtable). AAS-in-Asia Conference, Kobe, Japan, August 31-September 04.
- *Seaton, Cherisse, *Eric P. H. Li, and *Kathy Rush (2020), “Social Enterprise and Technology Synergies: Concept Mapping as a Tool for Collaborating with Rural Community Stakeholders to Identify Equitable Solutions,” BC Rural and First Nations Health and Wellness Summit, June 29-30.
- *Fang, Dandan, *Guojun He, and Eric P. H. Li (2020), “The Use of Consumer Goods in Promoting Gender Equality,” Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Annual Conference, St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador, June 12-15.
- Rush, Kathy and *Eric P. H. Li (2020), “Social Enterprise and Technology Synergies: Concept Mapping as a Tool for Collaborating with Rural Community Stakeholders to Identify Equitable Solutions,” Rural Health Equity Conference, Nelson, British Columbia, May 14-15 (postponed).
- *Lam, Magnum Man-Lok, Eric P. H. Li, Man Yin Chung, Wing-sun Liu (2020), “The Examination of Practicality and Sociality of Fashion-clothing among Indonesian Maid’s Acculturation Experience in Hong Kong,” the International Foundation of Fashion Technology Institutes (IFFTI) Annual Conference 2020, Kent and Cleveland, Ohio, March 24-26.
- *Patience Spinoza Okuku and *Eric P. H. Li (2019), “Materializing the Family Bond: Emotion Transportation through Significant Possessions,” Consumer Culture Theory Conference, Montreal, Quebec, July 17 to 19.
- *Min, Hyun Jeong and Eric P. H. Li (2018), “The Desire for a New Face: The Emergence of Cosmetic Surgery Tourism and the Transformation of South Korean National Identity,” 2018 Global Marketing Conference, Tokyo, Japan, July 26 to 29.
- *Ajnesh Prasad and Eric P. H. Li (2018), “Scientific Misconduct in the Field of Organizational and Management Studies,” Administrative Sciences Association of Canada, Toronto, Ontario, May 27 to 29.
- Li, Eric P. H., *Cristalle Smith and Melissa Hemphill (2018), “Food Consumption and Food Security in Revelstoke,” 2018 Rural Health Research Conference, Nelson, British Columbia, May 31 to June 1.
- *Lam, Magnum, Wing-sun Liu, Eric P. H. Li, Ho Tak Ho, and Jovia Lai (2018), “From Social to Design Dialogue: Community-Based Research in Fashion Design Pedagogy”, International Foundation of Fashion Technology Institutes Annual Conference 2018, Donghua University, Changning Qu, China, April 9-13.
- *Li, Eric P. H. and *Jack Leong (2017), “Art, Design, Cultural Identity and Politics: Understanding Contemporary Social Integration among Chinese and Chinese Canadians in the Millennium,” Association for Asian Studies Annual Conference 2018, Washington D.C., March 22-25 (Panel Co-Organizer and Presenter).
- *Shi, Fang, Xiang Peng, Huan Liu, Yafei Hu, Zheng Liu, and Eric P. H. Li (2018), “Soil-Pipe Interaction for Pipe Behavior Prediction with Super Learning based Methods,” the SPIE (The International Society for Optics and Photonics) Smart Structures + Nondestructive Evaluation Conference 2018, Denver, Colorado, March 4-8.
- *Li, Eric P. H., Xin Zhao, Fiona Li, Magnum Lam, and Wing-sun Liu (2017), “Fashion Brands as Resources for Chinese Modern Girl Archetypes,” Association for Consumer Research Conference, San Diego, California, October 26-29.
- *Li, Eric P. H., Cristalle Smith, Sarah Weseen, and Xin Zhao (2017), “My Meal, My Recipe – Social Media Intervention on Healthy Eating,” Association for Consumer Research Conference, San Diego, California, October 26-29.
- Bin, Junchi, *Shiyuan Tang, Gang Wang, Bryan Gardiner, Zheng Liu, and Eric P. H. Li (2017), “Regression Model for Appraisal of Real Estate using Recurrent Neural Network and Boosting Tree,” the 2nd IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Applications (ICCIA 2017), Beijing, China, September 8-11.
- *Shi, Fang, Zheng Liu, and Eric P. H. Li (2017), “Prediction of Pipe Performance with Ensemble Machine Learning-based Approaches,” 2017 International Conference on Sensing, Diagnostics, Prognostics, and Control, Shanghai, China, August 16-18.
- Li, Eric P. H. and *Ajnesh Prasad (2017), “Consolidating Wall 1.0 and Wall 2.0: Graffiti, Social Media, and Ideological Acts of Resistance and Recognition among Palestinian Refugees,” Canadian Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, May 29-June 2.
- Li, Eric P. H., *Magnum Lam, Elita Yee-nee Lam, and Wing-sun Liu (2016), “Challenges to Experiential Learning in Fashion and Design Education: Reflections on the Journey of Fashionthnography,” Cumulus – Open Design for E-very-thing – exploring new design purposes, Hong Kong, November 21-24.
- *Lam, Magnum, *Elita Yee-nee Lam, Eric P. H. Li, and Wing-sun Liu (2016), “Speaking of Design Experiences: A Phenomenological Inquiry into the Everyday Aesthetic Discourse in Design Representation,” Cumulus – Open Design for E-very-thing – exploring new design purposes, Hong Kong, November 21-24. (Art Installation)
- *Lee, Eunice, *Magnum Lam, and Eric P. H. Li (2016), “Design Ethnography and Inheritance: The Revitalization of Hakka Tradition in Fashion Collection,” Cumulus – Open Design for E-very-thing – exploring new design purposes, Hong Kong, November 21-24. (Fashion Collection)
- *Li, Eric P. H. and Sangwon Lee (2016), “Re-defining Asian Brands in the Global Marketplace,” Global Marketing Conference 2016, Hong Kong, July 21-24.
- Lam, Magnum, *Wing-sun Liu, Cliff Liu, and *Eric P. H. Li (2016), “Can Buying Fakes Make You a Bad Person? The (Re)signification of Consumer Moral Identity through Engaging in Counterfeiting in Hong Kong,” Global Marketing Conference 2016, Hong Kong, July 21-24.
- *Yue, Andy Xiao Ping and Eric P. H. Li (2016), “Doing Gender in the Emerging Digital Youth Culture: A Case Study of the Chinese Online Gaming Community,” Consumer Culture Theory Conference, Lille, France, July 6-9.
- Yue, Andy Xiao Ping and *Eric P. H. Li (2016), “Online Gaming Communities in Shanghai: Reconstruction of Gender among Middle-Class Youth in an Emerging Economy,” the “Middle Classes in East Asia’s Global Cities: Spaces, Communities, and Lifestyles” International Workshop, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel, June 21-23.
- *Lam, Magnum, Wing-sun Liu, Yee-nee Lam, and Eric P. H. Li (2016), “Participatory Action Research and Fashion Education: Theories, Practices, and Implications,” International Foundation of Fashion Technology Institutes Annual Conference 2016, Beijing, China, March 22-27. (Best Paper Award)
- *Li, Eric P. H., *Sheryl Peters, and *Mark West (2016), “Affordable Housing – Regional and International Perspectives,” Urbanizing Okanagan Symposium, Kelowna, B.C., March 11.
- *Li, Eric P. H., Wing-sun Liu, Viahsta Yuan, Elita Lam, and Magnum Lam (2015), “Democratization of Fashion: A Study of Co-Creation of Cultural Heritage,” Association for Consumer Research Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, October 1-4.
- *Li, Eric P.H., Carey Doberstein, Ross Hickey, Sumeet Sekhon, and Keith Culver (2015), “Co-Creating a Sustainable Community,” Association for Consumer Research Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, October 1-4.
- *Li, Eric P. H. (2015), “Deliberate Learning, Dynamic Capability, and Organizational Schema: A Case Study of Kodak,” Academy of Management Conference 2015, Vancouver, B.C., August 9-11.
- *Liu, Wing-sun, Eric P. H. Li, Magnum Lam, Viahsta Yuan, and Elita Lam (2015), “Heritage, Fashion, and Design,” 6th Annual Popular Culture Association of Australia and New Zealand Conference, Wellington, New Zealand, June 29-July 2.
- *Li, Eric P. H. and Thuc-Doan Nguyen (2015), “Learning Privacy: A Study on How Consumers Manage Privacy in Social Networking Sites,” Consumer Culture Theory Conference, Fayetteville, Arkansas, June 18-21.
- *Nguyen, Thuc-Doan and Eric P. H. Li (2015), “The Privacy of Consumers: How Consumers Learn to Manage Their Privacy,” American Marketing Association 2015 Marketing and Public Policy Conference, Washington D.C., June 4-6.
- *Zhu, Ying and Eric P. H. Li (2015), “The Influence of Visual Representations on Consumers’ Selection on Future Experiences,” American Marketing Association – Winter Educator Conference, San Antonio, Texas, February 13-15.
- Nguyen, Thuc-Doan, *Eric P. H. Li, and *Sayantani Mukherjee (2014), “Just for Fun? Constructing Self through Selfies,” Association for Consumer Research (North American) Conference, Baltimore, Maryland, October 23-26.
- *Nguyen, Thuc-Doan, Eric P. H. Li, and *Sayantani Mukherjee (2014), “Consuming Selfie,” American Marketing Association – Summer Educator Conference, San Francisco, California, August 1-3.
- *Liu, Wing-sun, Eric P. H. Li, Magnum Lam, and Elita Lam (2014), “Production of Extended Self: Integrating Life Experience in Fashion Design,” Global Marketing Conference, Singapore, July 15-18.
- *Joy, Annamma, Eric P. H. Li, Ying Zhu, Jeff Wang, and Stephen Charter (2013), “A Multi-Sensory Understanding of the Wine Consumption Experience,” Annual Conference of the American Association of Wine Economists (AAWE), Stellenbosch, South Africa, June 26-29.
- *Li, Eric P. H. and *Bernardo Figueiredo (2013), “Mobile Ethnicities in Global Cities,” Consumer Culture Theory Conference, Tucson, Arizona, June 13-15.
- *Zhu, Ying, Eric P. H. Li, and Faria Madhumita (2013), “A Longitudinal Study of Online Market Integration Among British Columbia Wineries,” Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC) Annual Conference, Calgary, Alberta, June 8-11.
- *Li, Eric P. H. (2012), “Homey Home: Representations of an Ideal Home in Hong Kong,” Association for Asian Studies Annual Conference, Toronto, Ontario, March 15-18.
- *Nguyen, Thuc-Doan and Eric P. H. Li (2011), “Consumer Privacy in Social Networking Cyberspace,” Marketing and Public Policy Conference, Washington D.C., June 2-4.
- *Li, Eric P. H. (2010), “Construction of Ethnicity in a Multicultural Marketplace,” Consumer Behaviour Winter Research Camp, Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, January 29.
- *Li, Eric P. H. (2009), “Construction of Ethnicity in a Multicultural Marketplace,” Marketing Research Seminar Series, Schulich School of Business, York University, Toronto, Ontario, September 25.
- Li, Eric P. H., *Aron Darmody, and Alex S. L. Tsang (2009), “Dynamics of Creative Consumer Community,” Consumer Culture Theory Conference, Ann Arbor, Michigan, June 11-14.
- *Belk, Russell W., Joonyong Seo, and Eric P. H. Li (2009), “The Tyranny of Possessions: Control, Clutter, Chaos, and Home Organizers,” Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP) Conference, Tampa, Florida, February 5-7.
- *Li, Eric P. H., Russell W. Belk, and Annamma Joy (2008), “Disney Dreams in China,” Transformations: Researching Asia, First York Centre for Asian Research Graduate Student Conference, Toronto, Ontario, September 25-26.
- Li, Eric P. H., *Russell W. Belk, and Annamma Joy (2008), “Disney Dreams in China,” Association for Consumer Research – Latin American Conference (Film Festival), San Paolo, Brazil, July 31-August 3.
- *Zhang, Shuoyang and Eric P. H. Li (2008), “Consumer Self Identity and Group Belongingness in Social Networking Sites,” 27th Annual Advertising and Consumer Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May 1-2.
- Belk, Russell W., Shalini Bahl, Junko Kimura, Hyun Jeong Min, and *Eric P. H. Li (2007), “Consuming Whiteness in Asia,” Consumer Culture Theory Conference, Toronto, Ontario, May 26-27.
- *Fischer, Eileen, Cele C. Otnes, Brynn Winegard, Eric P. H. Li, and Sarah J. S. Wilner (2007), “Are We There Yet? Co-Producing Success and Failure in a ‘Consumer-Intensive’ Service Context,” Consumer Culture Theory Conference, Toronto, Ontario, May 26-27.
- *To, Chester K. M., Y. H. Wong, Jimmy M.T. Chang and Eric P.H. Li (2004), “Technology tools for Managing Collaboration Process in Globalizing Textile Industry,” World Textile Conference – 4th AUTEX Conference, Roubaix, June 22-24.
Bold – Student/Alumni contributors
Selected Grants & Awards
- SSHRC Partnership Engage Grant (Food Bank Operations during COVID-19 Pandmiec) – CAD24,891 (Co-I, PI: Dr. Amir Ardestani-Jaafari)
- National Defense – Targeted Engagement Grants (A Digitized Community-Based Recruitment and Referral Portal and A Militainment Approach for DND and CAF) – CAD31,520 (PI)
- Mitacs (Accelerate Graduate Research Internship Program: Back to Basics: A Sustainable Response to COVID-19) – CAD60,000 (PI)
- SSHRC Insight Grant (Strategic Corporate Philanthropy: A Cross-Cultural Study) – CAD84,449 (PI)
- Mitacs (Accelerate Graduate Research Internship Program: Best Practice Framework for Healthcare Innovation Infrastructure, Implementation and Learning Campus) – CAD30,000 (Co-I, PI: Dr. Barb Marcolin)
- Canadian Institute for Military Veteran and Health Research (Qualitative Study of Financial Well-being of Survivors who Married or Entered into a Common-Law Relationship with a Veteran who was aged 60+) – CAD225,769.39 (PI)
- UBCO Eminence Research Cluster Fund (Rural Health Equity through Social Enterprise and Technology Synergies) – CAD300,000 (Co-Lead, with Dr. Kathy Rush)
- UBCO Eminence Research Cluster Fund (Homelessness Research in Kelowna: Journey Home Research Cluster) – CAD580,229 (Cluster Member, PI: Dr. John Graham)
- Mitacs (Accelerate Graduate Research Internship Program) (Understanding Health and Life Sciences Research and Innovation Impact in British Columbia) – CAD90,000 (PI, with Dr. Jennifer Davis and Dr. Elicia Maine [SFU])
- SSHRC Insight Development Grants (Quests for Developing Knowledge Economies: A Comparative Study of the Higher Education Reforms in China and India ) – CAD52,670 (Co-I, PI: Dr. Romi Jain)
- Canada Institute of Health Research – BC Support (Can PROMS data improve patient’s decision to adhere to Falls Prevention Clinic Recommendations) – CAD59,600 (Co-I, PI: Dr. Jennifer Davis)
- NSERC Create – Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technologies Training Program – CAD1,618,550 (Co-I, PI: Dr. Victoria Lemieux)
- MMRI-NRC IRAP Contributions to Organizations (CTO) Project Award (Cloud Technology Enabled Digital Twin Framework for Next-Generation Manufacturing and Asset Management – CAD5,500 (Co-PI, PI: Dr. Zheng Liu)
- SSHRC Partnership Development Grants (Kelowna Journey Home Research Collaborative) – CAD177,900 (Co-I, PI: Dr. John Graham)
- RSEDIC Seed Grant (Smart Donate – a Socio-Technological Intervention of Food Bank Donation) – CAD13,000 (PI)
- SSHRC Partnership Engage Grant (Smart Donate – a Socio-Technological Intervention of Food Bank Donation) – CAD21,325 (PI)
- UBC Humanities & Social Sciences Research Grant (Promoting Healthy Aging in Older Adults at High Risk of Mobility Impairments: A Collaborative Initiative) – CAD5,000 (Co-I. PI: Dr. Jennifer Davis)
- Monash University Internal Research Grant (Monash–Pennsylvania-UBC Virtual Hub for Geothermal Energy: Development and Operation of Efficient and Resilient Geothermal Energy Systems) – AUD170,737 (Co-I, PI: Dr. Ranjith Pathegama)
- NSERC-CRD (Micro Carbon Capture and Utilization: A Canadian Solution for Low Carbon Heating with Natural Gas) – CAD338,505 (Co-I; PI: Dr. Kasun Hewage)
- RSEDIC Seed Grant (Food Economy in Revelstoke) – CAD3,500 (PI)
- Mitacs (Accelerate Graduate Research Internship Program – Food Economy Research Project) – CAD15,000 (PI)
- Mitacs (Accelerate Graduate Research Internship Program – Machine Learning for Improved Automated Valuation Model) – CAD30,000 (Co-PI, PI: Dr. Zheng Liu)
- SSHRC – Insight Development Grant (IDG) (Engaging Stakeholders in Co-Creating a Sustainable Community: A Study of Rural Communities in interior B.C.) – CAD64,484 (PI)
- Mitacs (Accelerate Graduate Research Internship Program – Exploration of Innovative Digital Consumer Research and Marketing Strategies) – CAD15,000 (PI)
- Mitacs (Accelerate Graduate Research Internship Program – An Examination of the Determinants of Certification and Licensure Examination Methods in Canada) – CAD15,000 (PI)
- Canadian Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Scholarship (Innovative Solutions for Developing and Managing Climate Resilient Transport Infrastructure in South Asia Region (SAR): A Lifecycle Thinking Approach) – CAD1,125,440 (Co-Applicant)
- City of Kelowna and Okanagan Sustainability Institute (Investigating the Impacts of Urban Densities and Transportation on City of Kelowna’s GHG Emission Targets) – CAD81,000 (Co-Investigator, PI: Dr. Rehan Sadiq and Dr. Keith Culver)
- Okanagan Sustainability Institute Seed Grant (A Wall of Well-Being: A Novel Approach to the Promotion and Assessment of Well-Being in Students) – CAD15,000 (Co-Investigator, PI: Dr. Mark Holder)
- Hong Kong-Canada Crosscurrents Projects (Chinese Canadians and Fashion Consumption in Metropolitan Areas – Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal) – CAD2,500 (Co-Investigator, PI: Osmud Rahman)
- BCIC-Mitacs Commercialization Voucher Program – CAD7,500 (PI)
Honours and Awards
Awards for Teaching
2019 Nominee for 2019 UBCO Golden Apple Awards – University of British Columbia – Okanagan
2014 Teaching Honour Roll for the Academic Year 2012-2013 – University of British Columbia – Okanagan
Awards for Scholarship
2020 IFFTI Research Initiative Award (USD2,000)
Lam, Magnum Man-Lok, Eric P. H. Li, Man Yin Chung, Wing-sun Liu (2020), “The Examination of Practicality and Sociality of Fashion-clothing among Indonesian Maid’s Acculturation Experience in Hong Kong,” the International Foundation of Fashion Technology Institutes (IFFTI) Annual Conference 2020, Kent and Cleveland, Ohio, March 24-26.
2019 John Dobson Enactus Fellow
2016 IFFI Best Paper Award
Lam, Magnum, Wing-sun Liu, Yee-nee Lam, and Eric P. H. Li (2016), “Participatory Action Research and Fashion Education: Theories, Practices, and Implications,” International Foundation of Fashion Technology Institutes Annual Conference 2016, Beijing, March 22-27.
Awards for Contribution to Community
2018 Kelowna’s Top 40 under 40, Kelowna Chamber of Commerce, BC
Contribution to the Community:
- Dedication Poem to Healthcare Workers: Unsung Heroes & Heroines (June 17, 2020) (with Patience Spinoza Okuku) Kelowna Chamber of Commerce Blog Posts
- Chamber’s Top 40 Program Honours Special Health Care Providers (June 17, 2020) Kelowna Chamber of Commerce – News Release
- A new approach to marketing: Top 40 profile of Eric Li (June 06, 2018)
- Kelowna Top 40 under 40 AM1150 (interviewed by Phil Johnson) (June 07, 2018)
- Top 40: Eric Li Okanagan Business Edge (June 08, 2018)
Community-Based Project: Prosocial Behaviour and Corporate Philanthropy (with UBCO Enactus Club)
- UBC Okanagan News – UBCO students raise funds for food banks with Smart Meals (February 09, 2021)
- The Phoenix News – UBCO’s Smart Meals Initiative Partners Once More with the Vegetarian Butcher (interviewed by Madhumita Prasad) (February 08, 2021)
Research Project: Selfie
- Vancouver Sun – Trying for the Perfect Selfie can lead to extreme risk-taking (July 4, 2018) (interviewed by Randy Shore)
- Yahoo Canada News – “Selfies after the Earthquake in Nepal: What do these Selfies say about Ourselves?” (April 30, 2015)
- CTV Toronto (March 04, 2014)
- UBC News/Faculty of Management News – “Selfies are Your Own Brand” (March 03, 2014)
- CKNW News Talk AM980 – The Shift with Mike Eckford – “What Do Your Selfies Say About You” (March 03, 2014)
- Global TV News (March 03, 2014) – “The Dark Side of Selfies”
- MingPao Chinese Newspaper Vancouver (March 04, 2014)
Research Project: Skin-Lightening and Whitening Practices in Asia
- JAC Digital – Skin-Whitening Practices in Asia (May 09, 2016) Interviewed by journalist Emily Steinhardt
- KCPP Air Talk – “The confounding popularity of skin whitening creams” (July 30, 2014) Interviewed by Patt Morrison
- S-Moda (El País, Spain) – Initiatives defying beauty standards in Asia (July 23, 2014) Interviewed by journalist, Begoña Gómez.
- Quest-France – Les Japonaises fuient le bronzage (August 12, 2013) Interviewed by journalist, Audrey Guiller, regarding Japanese women’s skin colour preference.
Research: Urban Densification and Community Building
- UBC Study on Home Sharing in BC (May 10, 2019) Happipad Official Blog
- Kelowna residents should get used to high-density living Kelowna Capital News (March 11, 2016)
Research: Consumer Culture, Sustainable Consumption, and Precarious Consumers
- Green Eggs and Chocolate is more than a Pun (April 02, 2021) (Forbes, Interviewed by Jeff Kart)
- Spring can be a time for “green eggs and chocolate,” say UBCO experts (March 31, 2021) UBC Okanagan News
- Woman disputes U.S. cellphone roaming charges received while on Vancouver Island (January 21, 2021) CTV News Vancouver Island (Interviewed by Mona Mahmoud).
- There is more than just saving money when it comes to fake goods (April 26, 2018)
- UBC Okanagan News
- UBCO study suggests purchasing counterfeit brands can be virtuous Kelowna Now (April 26, 2018)
- Purchasing knock-off products seen as ethical in Chinese culture, says UBCO study Kelowna Capital News (April 26, 2018)
- Social Media and Fashion Culture (September 12, 2017) Ubyssey, UBC Vancouver (interviewed by Emma Tyrchniewicz)
- Zero Waste Movement (June 30, 2017) CBC Radio 1 Kelowna (interviewed by Valerie McTavish)
- Ugly Christmas Sweater (December 13, 2016) CBC Vancouver (interviewed by Anne-Diandra Louarn)
- Air Miles Fiasco (December 02, 2016) NEWS 1130 (interviewed by Martin MacMahon)
- Kanye-inspired fashion trend causes stir in Vancouver (November 09, 2016) The Voice (interviewed by Jessica Purver)
- Vancouver’s largest garage sale shows swap culture making a comeback (June 18, 2016) Vancouver Sun/The Province
- The Ed Hand Show – 1310 News Radio in Ottawa (February 18, 2015) Discussed how much Canadians consume and alternative ways to deal with our waste instead of sending it to a landfill (interviewed by Andrew Krystal)
Research: Social Media and Transmedia Storytelling
- How fake news culture and technology played out in a suspicious Lake Country incident (May 30, 2019) Global Okanagan (interviewed by Megan Turcato)
- Social Media Shopping (September 26, 2018) CBC Radio (interviewed by Jason Osler)
- Risk for views: The psychology behind the Tide Pod Challenge (January 29, 2018) BCIT News (interviewed by Dennis Arellano)
- #MeToo Social Media Campaign and Sexual Harassment (October 17, 2017) CBC Radio Daybreak South (interviewed by Chris Walker)
- Why companies are adopting digital marketing strategies and how consumers react to them (February 7, 2017) (interviewed by Peter Mothe, freelance writer for Brand Megaphone)
- Rebirth of Old Stories in Social Media (January 08, 2016) (interviewed by Global Okanagan)
- Seeing red: the science behind the holiday cups (UBC News, December 11, 2015)
Experiential Learning and Healthy Living IdeasFest
- Healthy Living reaches out: Making marketing increasingly meaningful Faculty of Management News (February 05, 2018)
- UBCO marketing exercise faces challenges Kelowna Capital News (December 26, 2015)
- Management students help promote BMX park and food forest: UBC marketing exercise faces real challenges of community opposition UBC Media Release (December 21, 2015)
- BMX track proposal could include farming Penticton Western News (November 25, 2015)
- UBC students present options to make local communities healthier Faculty of Management News (November 19, 2014), Castnet.net (November 19, 2014)
- UBCO TV – Third Year Experiential Marketing
- CBC Radio Interview (Daybreak South) (October 14, 2014)
Scholarship of Teaching
- Summer of Discovery (UBCO Faculty of Management News) (November 02, 2020) – Featuring undergraduate research award students
- UBCO awards support students throughout the summer (UBC Okanagan News) (July 29, 2020) – Featuring undergraduate research award recipients – Mohana Rambe, Shree Nithi Santhagunam, Shiven Vinod Khera, and Vinil Sood
- Patience’s Story (UBC Our Stories) (June 08, 2019) – Featuring International Undergraduate Award Recipient – Patience Okuku (supervised by Dr. Eric Li)
- Big Finish for Business Students (Okanagan Edge) (February 01, 2017)
- UBCO Students shine at Business Competition (Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association – Regional Tourism News Centre) (January 23, 2017)
- UBC Management Students honoured in business competition (UBCO Faculty of Management News) (January 20, 2017)
- UBC Undergraduate Viewbook 2017 – Interviewed by Sheena Starky (May 10, 2016)
- UBC Our Stories – Management professor prepares students for success at UBC’s Okanagan campus and in the business world (August 20, 2015)
- Faculty of Management News – Assistant Professor Ping (Eric) Li recognized for teaching excellence in management (May 09, 2014)
- Castanet.net – UBC honours faculty for teaching excellence and innovation (May 09, 2014)
Current Affairs: Panic Buying and COVID-19
- Maclean’s (Interviewed by Marie-Danielle Smith) (April 22, 2020)
- BC’s Responses to COVID-19 Kelowna Capital News (Interviewed by Michael Rodriguez (March 17, 2020)
- Ethical consumerism important through the COVID-19 pandemic (March 18, 2020) InfoNews.ca (Interviewed by Carli Berry) (March 12, 2020)
- Here’s why people are fighting over the last pack of toilet paper (March 12, 2020)
- Huge lineup of people waiting for Kelowna’s Costco to open today (by Rob Munro)
- Kelowna shoppers increasingly frustrated as COVID-19 panic buying makes getting the basics harder (by Kathy Michaels)