Capstone Project – student management consulting
The final graduating requirement for UBC’s Faculty of Management students is the completion of MGMT 490 – Capstone Service Learning and Consulting course. This course challenges students to apply the knowledge and skills they learned throughout their degree to real world problems. Capstone matches a group of three to four students with local businesses to provide recommendations and solutions to a business problem or challenge.
Students are not assigned to actual positions, but rather fill a consulting role in an organization. The team of 3-4 students will spend 50+ hours dedicated to an organization’s project. Your organization will receive a comprehensive written report and an oral presentation outlining the student consulting teams research and proposed recommendations.
Benefits of Participating
UBCO’s Management student consulting projects are a win-win-win scenario that benefits all parties involved:
- Businesses benefit by receiving recommendations and solutions to an operational challenge.
- Students benefit by applying their UBC education in a true business atmosphere and gaining experience for their future profession.
- UBC benefits by connecting with industry and advancing our education programs to meet the needs of the business world.
Project Success Criteria
The following factors contribute to a successful outcome for your organization and the student consulting teams:
- Project work that requires students to apply learned skills.
- A clearly defined and achievable project scope.
- “Hands-on” involvement by you, the client.
- General project oversight by a senior manager.
- A project that addresses an important business need.
The Capstone project is a mutually beneficial service for small business and not-for-profit organizations in the Okanagan, to learn more: