Master of Management (MM)
The Master of Management program welcomes applications from candidates able to commit to 25 months of part-time online study and three intensive in-residence sessions, held for two weeks each July at UBC’s Okanagan campus in Kelowna, BC.
The program allows highly-motivated full-time employees to complete the program in 25 months. We also encourage applications from recent bachelor degree graduates with sufficient relevant experience.
Application Requirements Overview
The selection process is guided by the criteria below, but we also welcome applications from candidates who satisfy competence prerequisites in other demonstrable ways. Those candidates are encouraged to contact the Academic Programs Coordinator for personal advising.
- Academic Achievement: This will be evaluated based on your academic transcript(s) and three references, typically a combination of academic and professional references. Candidates must have a solid academic record and normally submit a competitive GMAT or GRE score. GMAT/GRE exemptions may be granted upon request.
- Experience: Relevant professional or other applicable experience is considered a significant asset and should be normally a minimum of three to five years. Your motivation and fit for the program will be evaluated through your curriculum vitae, application, and an interview (in-person, telephone, or Skype).
- English Proficiency: Applicants must be able to speak, comprehend, and write fluently in English. An English proficiency exam is required for all candidates who have not completed a prior degree taught in English.
|Academic Achievement||A four-year Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a UBC-recognized institution. Candidates must have a solid academic record and normally submit a competitive GMAT or GRE score. GMAT/GRE exemptions may be granted upon request.
*As degrees/grading systems differ widely between countries, applicants with degrees from outside North America should review country–specific requirements listed here.
|Readiness for contribution to a diverse peer-learning community1||This is assessed using your completed application package, particularly your answers to questions asked in the application. Applicants will be contacted for an interview.|
|English Proficiency (if required)||Applicants must be must be able to speak, comprehend, and write fluently in English. An English proficiency exam is required for all candidates who have not completed a prior degree taught in English.
TOEFL: iBT: 100 (with minimum scores of 22 in Reading and Listening); paper-based 600; computer-based: 250 (all three tests are acceptable, and must have been written within the last 2 years)
IELTS (Academic): 6.5 overall with no component score below 6.0 (scores are valid if test written within the last 2 years)
MELAB: 85 with a final score of 3 on the speaking test
1 We compose each admitted cohort with attention to diversity of backgrounds and experiences giving each cohort year a broad range of individual experiences from which the group might draw insights and comparative knowledge.
Academic and English Proficiency Documents
- Academic Transcripts: Please arrange to have your official transcripts sent directly to the Faculty of Management as early as possible. Official transcripts are required from all universities or colleges that you have attended.
- Official documents must be received in envelopes that have been sealed and endorsed by the issuing institution.
- UBC graduates need not submit official transcripts (unless you have attended an institution after attending UBC).
- Okanagan University College graduates who completed their degree prior to the school being renamed to UBC must submit an official transcript (requests are made to Okanagan College).
- English language translations of transcripts and degree certificates (if required) must accompany official transcripts issued in a language other than English. These documents must be sealed and endorsed by the issuing institution to be considered official. If your university is unable to provide translated official records in English, you must arrange to have the translation completed by following these steps:
- Make a copy of a separate transcript or certificate for translation (do not open the official sealed copy intended for the Faculty of Management);
- Provide a translator with the copied item(s) for translation and request a complete, word for word, literal English translation, endorsed with the translator’s numbered seal;
- Ask the translator to place the original language transcript or certificate, the copy of the transcript or certificate and the literal English translations into an envelope, and have him or her seal and endorse the envelope with their numbered stamp.
- Submit this sealed envelope to the Faculty of Management (do not open).
- Code/institutional identifiers for English language tests (if required): The following table lists the codes to be used in order for official test results to be issued directly to UBC’s Okanagan campus, as well as timing considerations.
|Test||Code or other institution identifier||Approximate length of time for scores to arrive at our office|
|TOEFL||2499||Internet- or computer-based test: Approximately 3 weeks
Paper-based test: Approximately 4-6 weeks
|IELTS (Academic)||“UBC Okanagan Campus”||Approximately 3 weeks|
|MELAB||“University of British Columbia, Okanagan Campus”||Approximately 4-6 weeks|
*Please note: Applicants writing a GMAT or GRE should contact the Academic Programs Coordinator to request code information